Re: C-Ret: cua and icicles

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: C-Ret: cua and icicles
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 00:33:42 +0200

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

> Your point was that users should not have to deal with such customization,
> that
> "Icicles should of course try to do this, not you".  Now you are saying that a
> user can take care of it himself by customizing cua-mode.  That's no doubt
> good
> for users to know, but it does not speak to your point.

Yes, maybe I went to far but I felt I have to clear up some
misunderstandings in what you wrote. User will have to deal with it.

But this information was mainly meant for you. You can detect this bad
situation and tell the user how to overcome it. If you are want to
grab a key that is used by a major component in Emacs that many users
are using I think that helps quite a bit.

> I tried to explain the interaction among the keymaps etc.

Yes, but you did not get it right. Your description that cua-mode "is
just one mode among a
multitude of possible modes" is highly misleading. It is an emulation
mode and that is very important.

However the rectangle thing is not part of the emulation of CUA and
should IMO not be in that keymap. It should rather be a separate,
normal minor mode.