Re: create-image on console emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: create-image on console emacs
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 22:18:17 +0200

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Gary <help-gnu-emacs@garydjones.name> wrote:
> Can anyone explain to me why If I use emacs in the console and call
> create-image I get a message like "Non-X frame used" (whether I use an
> X11 binary or non-X)? I don't get this at all.
>
> The reason I ask is that I am trying to use the code from
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_html.html (*waves*) and as I said to Xah
> Lee off-list, while it may well be necessary to (for example) get an
> image's dimensions in order to display an image, the reverse is not
> true. Other console tools are able to do it fine, for example
> ImageMagick can tell me the dimensions from the command line:
>
> $ identify work/web1/Bilder/aussen.jpg
> work/web1/Bilder/aussen.jpg JPEG 874x583 874x583+0+0 DirectClass 8-bit
> 58.75kb
>
> X doesn't need to get involved until such time things actually (try to)
> get displayed.

I tested this starting from "emacs -nw":

  (setq x (create-image "c:/my-image.jpg"))
  (setq s (image-size x t))

create-image works, but image-size fails.with "Non-W32 frame used".

It looks like the reason is that internally images are in some way
bound to frames. I do not know the reason for this, but you can see it
in the code of `image-size'.

Maybe it is a bug. Please submit a bug report.