Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 11:31:26 -0300

On 2010-04-20 at 14:36 ADT, Glenn Morris <rgm+news@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Jim Diamond wrote:
>
>> On 2010-03-21 at 18:02 ADT, Jeff Clough <jeff@chaosphere.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Emacs does PDFs out of the box,
>>
>> Using either 23.1 or 24.0.50, "apropos" has very little to say about PDFs.

> Don't use apropos to search for a concept, instead search the manual.

I guess I can't argue with that advice, given that searching the
manual does help.  The problem is that I thought I was looking for a
function (something that read/loaded/displayed PDF files), not a
concept.  Perhaps I am missing a lot of functionality of emacs which
would be useful, but I've always (up until now) found what I wanted
with apropos.  Sometimes I've followed that up with looking in the
manual, but rarely have I needed to.

Anyway, thanks for the (*ahem*) info.

                                Jim