Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Failing to see the allure of Emacs
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:13 -0000

But isn't that what describe-function or describe-variable are for?

First you have to know what you want to describe. How is one to discover what functions, variables, etc are available? After decades of using emacs, I'm still sometimes surprised by discovering something I didn't know about and would never have thought to "describe".

I'm not in the midst of a community of emacs users, so asking questions and learning new things is a rather heavyweight process for me -- there's no one to look over my shoulder and make suggestions. That, and the difficulty of emacs documentation, have been a real hindrance to my becoming a better programmer of emacs.

But I'll still take it over anything else I know of.  Power to the people!

djc