Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Strange font / frame size problem makes emacs unusable.
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 11:36:23 +0200

Am 26.04.2010 um 09:18 schrieb Gaute Amundsen:

xlsfonts | grep misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--

*Don't* use the '--' when grep'ing for a font name! And it's so much easier to

        xlsfonts -fn '-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*'

Since Ubuntu is Debian based
there are certainly some system init files. They're either missing
(because you did not install the packages) or they're for a different
version of GNU Emacs? Find and check them!

None that I can spot.
Can you suggest a string to grep /etc/ for?

No, I am not using a Debian based Linux. Other suggestions: locate .el | egrep '^/etc', launch GNU Emacs as

emacs [...] -eval '(defadvice load (before debug-log activate) (message "(Tipp von Kai G) Lade jetzt: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))'

Some trace variant is able
to record files being opened.

neither strace and lsof show anything resembling those names.

Lsof certainly is the wrong choice: it can only list files kept open by some process at this moment, not those once temporarily opened and now closed. And I am more familiar with DTrace in Solaris or Mac OS X...

--
Greetings

  Pete
                      ~  o