RE: Organizing files in projects

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Organizing files in projects
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:34:21 -0700

I don't think there is a single "almighty solution". There are many tools and features that can help with code management, depending on what your needs are. Here are some suggestions:
Others will offer additional pointers no doubt.

There are many ways to manage "projects" of code, and Emacs offers many features that can help with this. It's up to you to decide how you want to do things and which features are most useful for your needs.

I use more and more emacs for my hacking activities. I am more used to Netbeans and Eclipse IDEs but the possibility to do anything from only one editor attracts me....

One thing I miss however currently is the possibility to organize my files as a project. Typically if I develop a PHP application, I'd like to be able to a)navigate in the current file to jump directly to a class' member (either variable, function, whatever) and b) jump into a dependency, this can be a superclass or a class from a library I use, anything. Doing that from my beloved IDEs is very easy, but from Emacs I read about tags, anything and certainly others...

My question is: is there an "almighty" solution?