Re: opening buffers in particular windows?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: Re: opening buffers in particular windows?
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 15:57:07 -0700

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Pawel <mafeusek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brendan Miller <catphive@catphive.net> writes:
>
>> M-x man is actually kind of annoying because I usually want it to open
>> in the window that I run the command in.
>>

> good point.
> the first thing I did after learning elisp a bit was to open buffer list
> (C-x b) in current window. Solution is specific to buffer list only, but
> the question remains for other cases.
>
> best regards

I think that now that monitors have gotten so big, it's common to have
3 or 4 windows open, whereas in the past most emacs users probably had
2 max. For this reason most of the "open in other window" type
commands now behave very unpredictably with 3 or more windows.

I'm currently learning elisp so I can fix things like this for myself.
Guidance on how C-x o, dired's o, C-x b, and M-x man decide which of n
windows is the "other window" would be helpful. Hopefully they all
just call some "other window" function that I can hook to customize
its behavior.

Brendan