Re: conditional font faces

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: conditional font faces
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 21:28:34 -0500

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/02/10 03:00 AM, Tim Visher wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I was trying to customise the font face to make everything more
>>> visible. Usually I use Emacs with a GUI but quite often I need to use
>>> no-window. The default face for the minibuffer-prompt is medium blue
>>> in no-window which makes it very difficult for me to see. I however
>>> like the defaults when using the GUI.
>>>
>>> Is there some way I could keep the defaults when using GUI and set it
>>> to something more readable when using no-window?
>>
>> I can't remember if it's built in or not but `C-h f emacs-type RET`.
>
> Its not. But I found the library:
> http://malsyned.net/repos/dotemacs/site-lisp/emacs-type.el
>
>> You can then key off of that like so:
>>
>>     (defun emacs-is-windowed ()
>>       "Returns non-nil if Emacs is running in Windowed mode."
>>       (string-match "window" (emacs-type)))
>
> It returns a symbol, so I had to modify it like this:
>
>  (require 'emacs-type)
>  (defun emacs-is-windowed ()
>   "Returns non-nil if Emacs is running in Windowed mode."
>   (string-match "window" (symbol-name (emacs-type))))
>
>  (if (emacs-is-windowed)
>     (progn (set-face-background 'default "black")
>              (set-face-foreground 'default "white")))

That's interesting.  The file I got from I not where returned strings.
 If you don't mind doing the conversion then you're more than welcome
to but you could download the version I use from my [GitHub
page](http://github.com/timvisher/.emacs/blob/master/site-lisp/emacs-type.el)
if you so desired.  Again, I had to override it like
[so](http://github.com/timvisher/.emacs/blob/master/lisp/platform-detection.el)
in order to correctly detect Macs.

> Now should I be putting above block in a hook? Or is there a better way to
> implement this? If using a hook is the proper solution, which should I be
> using? Something like find-file-hook is definitely inappropriate as
> we can easily have buffers associated with no files (my lisp abilities
> are limited at best). :(

If I were you I'd put it in my .emacs file.  That way it gets
evaluated for everything in the life of that emacs process.  This
works for me at least.  Here's a [very simple example of how I use
it](http://github.com/timvisher/.emacs/blob/master/lisp/my-config.el#L33).

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.