emacs (gnus? w3m?) requires xterm

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: emacs (gnus? w3m?) requires xterm
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:40:49 -0500

When reading a msg in gnus I often see

     (X) text        ( ) html

I normally discard the html.  Occasionally (e-tickets) I want the html
version and actually want to print it so the w3m version isn't good
enough.

If I left click and select view interactively and choose firefox, the
action fails saying I need xterm.  Installing xterm fixes it.  However,
I would rather it used gnome-terminal so I could remove xterm.

If xterm is really required, I would file a bug report at gentoo to have
the relevant package (gnus, w3m, or emacs) require xterm.

So

1.  Is there an option to specify gnome-terminal instead of xterm?

2.  If not, which system is invoking xterm and thus needs to specify
    it as a dependency?

thanks,
allan