Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:23:39 -0800

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the delay in my response, got a little busy with work.

On Thursday 07 January 2010 07:46 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
Suvayu Ali<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>  writes:

These will be a lot of help when emacs is still responsive,
thanks. But usually when this happens, all the frames associated to
the emacs server freezes, and doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse
input. I also see similar behaviour whenever TRAMP is busy with the
network, say authenticating to the remote server. As soon as its done,
every thing goes back to normal. Maybe I should have taken screen
shots. :-\

Please apply

   (setq debug-on-error t
         debug-on-signal t
         debug-on-quit t)

before the next test. Then, when Emacs hangs, you could try from a shell

# kill -FPE<emacspid>

Don't ask me why, but sometimes Emacs comes back with the FPE signal,
and you get a backtrace. This I would like to see, because then I could
protect that code with-local-quit and friends.

These are the steps I took to generate the backtrace, after setting the variables as you requested.

* Opened a remote file and edited it.
* Disconnected my network connection.
* Tried to save the file with `C-x C-s'
* After emacs hung, I took a screenshot
* Killed emacs with `kill -FPE <emacs_pid>'
* Copied the backtrace to a buffer, saved it as raw-text.
* Executed the kill command again (as emacs was still unresponsive)

I have attached the screenshot and the text file with the backtrace.

Hope this will help. And as always, thanks for the help.

Best regards, Michael.

--
Suvayu