Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Killing a hung ssh process in a TRAMP session
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:46:43 +0100

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> These will be a lot of help when emacs is still responsive,
> thanks. But usually when this happens, all the frames associated to
> the emacs server freezes, and doesn't respond to any keyboard or mouse
> input. I also see similar behaviour whenever TRAMP is busy with the
> network, say authenticating to the remote server. As soon as its done,
> every thing goes back to normal. Maybe I should have taken screen
> shots. :-\

Please apply

  (setq debug-on-error t
        debug-on-signal t
        debug-on-quit t)

before the next test. Then, when Emacs hangs, you could try from a shell

# kill -FPE <emacspid>

Don't ask me why, but sometimes Emacs comes back with the FPE signal,
and you get a backtrace. This I would like to see, because then I could
protect that code with-local-quit and friends.

Best regards, Michael.