Re: regexp/emacs selective replace

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: regexp/emacs selective replace
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:20:34 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 23, 5:41 am, m121212 <m121...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a tricky problem that I'm not sure how to solve.  I have a latex
> document with several figure environments that look like this:
>
> \begin{figure}
>  \includegraphics{blah.ps}
> \end{figure}
>
> but need to look like this:
>
> \begin{figure}
>   \begin{center} \includegraphics{blah.ps} \end{center}
> \end{figure}
>
> Some of the figure environments already have this however, and I don't want
> to end up with something like this:
>
> \begin{figure}
>   \begin{center}\begin{center} \includegraphics{blah.ps}
> \end{center}\end{center}
> \end{figure}

This page answers your question exactly:

• Elisp Lesson: Repeated Find Replace
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_repeat_replace.html

if you prefer emacs to ask you for each case, perhaps just to be sure
your regex didn't find a bad match, see:

• Lisp Lesson: Regex Replace with a Function
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/lisp_regex_replace_func.html

> Any ideas?   Also, is there a way Emacs can just wrap any selection with
> custom, predefined tags?

(defun wrap-markup ()
  "Insert a markup <b></b> around a region."
  (interactive)
    (goto-char (region-end)) (insert "</b>")
    (goto-char (region-beginning)) (insert "<b>")
)

the above is from a collection of simple elisp examples at

• Emacs Lisp Examples
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_examples.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/