Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontificat

From: senny
Subject: Re: indirect-region (make-indirect-buffer) breaks major-mode fontification
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 23:54:45 -0800 (PST)

On 17 Nov., 21:28, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:53 PM, Yves Senn <yves.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Of course there are a lot of features I don't use embedded into emacs.
> > But I try not to drop loads of third party code into my configurations when
> > I just need
> > a little piece. Its like installing eclipse to edit xml files but I guess
> > thats just my opinion.
>
> No, some people think this way. Others think it is good to get the whole
> nXhtml.
>
> I have just decided I do not have time to distribute it in pieces. A
> lot of people would get their setup wrong. Using multi major modes is
> a bit more complicated if you do it yourself.
>
> > The buffer approach is very simple. It lets me write a function that
> > lets me edit a part from one buffer in another one with another major-mode.
>
> > That would completely accomplish the goal to edit parts with another mode
> > and would also allow me to use the features provided by the given mode.
>
> >> Maybe you just want to use narrowing in Emacs to edit a part of a buffer?
>
> > I use narrowing a lot but it does not allow me to change the current
> > major-mode.
> > Another thing, that "indirect" buffers allow me is to edit those parts all
> > at once in different windows.
>
> > I know it is not the best solution but for the few occurrences when I am
> > doing html prototyping or SSJS
> > it would be enough for sure.
>
> Yes, it can work in many cases. Sometimes the rest of the buffer
> interferes so you do not get the syntax hilighting you expect. The
> same for indentation.
>
> > Integrated is probably the wrong term. I mean that I am heading for a
> > simple solution
> > using the on board mechanisms from emacs (indirect buffers) in this case.
>
> It is perhaps good to try. A lot of people have done so, but after a
> while they discover that it does not work as they expected. (That was
> how I started too.)

> >> Thanks for trying.
>
> > After that discussion I think I will give nXhtml an other shot. When I got
> > some spare
> > time I will look more into nXhtml and will send you my thoughts.
>
> Ok, there is a new beta now at
>
>  http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/nxhtml/beta/
>
> This has support for server side javascript. Just do
>
>   M-x ssjs-html-mumamo-mode
>
> to turn it on.
>
> > Regards,
> > Senny

Hey Lennart

I just played around with the nxhtml beta you uploaded. The
highlighting seems to work good and the cursor movement relay has been
increased. After just a few minutes using the mode I've got some
complaints tough.
  - When I scroll through pages (using scroll-down and scroll-up) the
performance is poor
  - When I call (cleanup-buffer => starterkit function to indent,
untabify and trailing whitespace removal)
    It takes like 6 seconds to clean the buffer where nxml mode takes
around half a second.
  - There were still some indentation bugs
  - The mode tried to validate the page all the time, which takes
about a second and blocks emacs
I tried everything with the following page: www.postfinance.ch

Regards,
Senny