Re: keyboard macro question

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: keyboard macro question
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 03:12:48 +0000 (UTC)

In article <cd68dc3d-ccfa-48a0-bbac-8bc923e38bd5@u16g2000pru.googlegroups.com>,
Xah Lee  <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Oct 17, 6:46 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
>> In article
>> <d9407676-bb83-46a4-9804-0450cc190...@v37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>> Xah Lee  <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please -- I know you love your nice control-chars your posts
>> always include, but it sure makes it near IMPOSSIBLE for us
>> to read, or especially to NICELY save, them.
>>
>> Suggestion:
>>
>> Each post you make, DOUBLE it: first part "your way", then
>> a dashed line or lines, then again, but without that stuff
>> in it.  Just plain ascii, minus any within-line control-chars.
>>
>> (Presumably you take the trouble to write your posts, to think
>> them through, etc, because you want us to READ them, to BENEFIT
>> from them, perhaps to even SAVE them.  Seems to me that it would
>> thus be to YOUR benefit to make them as easy as possible to read,
>> and likewise to save away, maybe even for OTHERS to read (attributed
>> to you, of course).)
>>
>> Thanks for at least considering the above.
>
>Hi David,
>
>was it you who wrote me at least twice about this issue in the past in
>separate times?
>
>If i didn't recall incorrectly, i never got any reasons what is the
>problem.
>
>The "control chars" you mention, are unicode characters, and pretty
>standard ones, such as curly quotes and bullets.
>
>I wrote all my posts using just emacs, and they show correctly in just
>about all web browsers from groups.google.com. There is no problem in
>copy and pasting them, nor can i imagine there any problem in saving
>them as file, in any of Windows, Mac, or linux. the encoding used is
>utf-8, default in mac, linuxes, and fully supported Windows.
>
>unicode is charset in langs like xml, java... etc.
>
>can you be explicit exactly what is the problem? is it some news
>reader that does not support unicode? i haven't tried, but it'd be a
>major shame if u telling me emacs+gnus or Mozilla's Thunderbird does
>not support unicode out of the box?
>
>  Xah
>∑ http://xahlee.org/
>
>☄

You're writing for a web-browser?

I don't use a web-browser for newsgroups -- I use "trn4".

And with that, your unicode orwhatever looks pretty bad,
unreadable in some cases.

How about  writing for just  plain old ascii terminals, eg
adm3a or vt-100 --  isn't that the working assumption for
newsgroup text?

David