Re: gunzip problem on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: gunzip problem on Windows
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:28:40 +0200

> From: Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:23:52 -0800 (PST)
>
> Found a solution. Create a file name gunzip.bat, with this content:
>
> @echo off
> gzip -d %1

As I wrote elsewhere, it's better to change %1 to %*, because then the
batch file is not limited to a single argument.

> I filed a bug report to FSF on this. #4867. I think this should still
> considered a bug though. Considering it as a Windows OS problem isn't
> very helpful in solving this.

It's not a Windows problem, and it's not an Emacs problem, either.  A
program running on a certain OS cannot be reasonably expected to run
shell scripts from another OS.  Granted, a motivated volunteer can
step forward and write the code for Emacs to support Unix shell
scripts on Windows (and they will be most welcome), but until then,
this is at best a feature request, not a bug.