RE: Long buffer names in buffer menu

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Long buffer names in buffer menu
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:58:38 -0700

> When I bring up the electric buffer list, long file names are
> truncated (with : at the end of the name).  This is a problem for me
> since I'm used to using long source file names, and I sometimes work
> with multiple files whose names are different only after the point
> where EMACS truncates them.  So if I'm working with two or more such
> files, the names appear the same in the electric buffer list and I
> don't know which one to select.  I can't find any function
> that would
> display the full, untruncated buffer name somewhere while remanining
> in the buffer list so that I can pick the correct one.  Is there a
> function like that, or could one be written simply?  (I'm pretty
> experienced at writing my own Lisp functions, so if someone has some
> code for something like this I could get it working.)
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BufferMenuPlus

You can use `+' and `-' to incrementally resize the buffer name + size. The
smaller they are, the more space there is for the File column.

Lines are not truncated, if you set `truncate-partial-width-windows'.

You can toggle hiding particular columns (e.g. to give more space to others,
such as File).