Re: solaris 8 binaries of emacs?

From: despen
Subject: Re: solaris 8 binaries of emacs?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:13:36 -0400

metaperl <schemelab@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm on a solaris 8 machine with no admin rights. And the admins will
> not install emacs.
>
> The machine has ucbcc on it, which emacs will not compile with (see
> transcript below).
>
> So, I would like an emacs binary for solaris 8 if possible. I've never
> cross-compiled, but I do have Cygwin running on my desktop if that
> makes it possible.
>
> (TRANSCRIPT)
>
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] cc
> Usage: ucbcc [ options ] files.  Use 'ucbcc -flags' for details
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] ./configure
> checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1]

ucbcc is not a compiler.
Don't waste your time trying to compile with it.

If you have /usr/ucb in your path, get rid of it.
Hopefully you will find a "cc" once you get that out of the way.

If not, you'll have to install gcc too.
It's possible to install gcc and emacs from source.
You just need enough space and the patience.

I had the same issues with admins not wanting to install XEmacs.
I convinced our admins to delegate the task to me and provide the space.

I don't remember Sol 8 specifically, but I know later versions
of Solaris include packages for emacs/xemacs but I still prefer to
compile my own versions.