Re: Emacs Lisp Programming Questions

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp Programming Questions
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:54:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 6, 3:40 pm, "clint.laskowski" <clint.laskow...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello, gnu.emacs.help. I have a few questions about programming in
> Emacs Lisp. I hope you can help. Here they are:
>
> 1. Is this a good place to ask questions about programming in Emacs
> Lisp, especially with regards to text processing? If there's a better
> place, I'd appreciate knowing.
>
> 2. I want to write an interactive Elisp program to remove sequential
> duplicate lines from a buffer. This buffer is not sorted, and it
> should not be sorted. The program should simply look for two
> sequential lines that are identical, delete one, and then move on to
> the next line and do it over until it reaches the end of the buffer.
>
> BUT, I do not want the answer to this problem (i.e., I don't want an
> Elisp answer) ... I want hints on how to program it. I want to learn
> the answer myself, if possible.
>
> Any ideas or pointers?

you might try my elisp tutorial, which is specifically focused for
text processing tasks, either as interactive commands or as batch
program like perl, python. (as opposed to, being focused on writing
major/minor modes, dealing with fonts, mouses, emacs's windown/frames
manipulation, writing ftp, email clients, or special modes like calc,
dired, etc.)

• Xah's Emacs Lisp Tutorial
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp.html

For asking emacs lisp questions, gnu.emacs.help and comp.emacs is the
best place. Alternative are comp.lang.lisp. For advanced emacs lisp
questions (say, you already have 3 years of elisp experience ), then
emacs dev mailing list is best.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/