emacs allout-mode

From: stucker
Subject: emacs allout-mode
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone might share with me the secrets of allout.el. I am
interested in adapting this for my programming in R through ESS. I have read
through comments in the source code and the docstring but there are some
things that are still a bit confusing...

So from examining allout.el my understanding is that I want to mark up my
document in the following style (# is the comment char in R):

###_* heading 1
###_ = heading 2
...code...
###_ > another type of heading 2
...code...

with stylish-prefixes set to true, the set of distinctive bullets
"*+-=>()[{}&!?#%\"X@$~_\\:;^" can be used as different subtopic bullets.

However:
1. This works when I do allout-hide-bodies, but when I add (setq
allout-layout t) to the mode-hook and open an R file, some of the topics and
subtopics are hidden.
2. In allout.el:
"comment-start strings that do not end in spaces are tripled in
the header-prefix, and an `_' underscore is tacked on the end, to
distinguish them from regular comment strings.  comment-start
strings that do end in spaces are not tripled, but an underscore
is substituted for the space."
-> Is there something I do that will automatically convert my comments into
allout-style headings and sub-headings?

The main advantage I see for allout over outline is the easy keyboard
navigation (for my purposes, since I do not require encryption)... but is
there more? Is there also an allout export document that can be generated?
There is some comment in 'allout.el' which says:
"Easy rendering of exposed portions into numbered, latex, indented, etc
outline styles" leads me to believe so...

I was wondering if anyone could possibly confirm this and perhaps share some
ways in which they use allout mode (if at all, or do you use outline mode
code)? I already use folding-mode already to hide parts of interactive
scripts that I don't currently use, but don't want to delete... but was
looking for another folding mode that will structure my scripts.

Thank you!

Stephen