Re: How to adjust the windows configuration using gnus-carpal, group-car

From: Benjamin L. Russell
Subject: Re: How to adjust the windows configuration using gnus-carpal, group-carpal, and summary-carpal?
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 14:30:35 +0900

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:
>
> [dontknow]
>> 3) What is the difference between a browse buffer and an article buffer?
>> I thought that the group buffer provided a list of groups, the summary
>> buffer provided a list of articles, and the article buffer provided the
>> content of an article; what is the purpose of a browse buffer?
>
> Press '^' in the group buffer and then RET (on a suitable server) in the
> server buffer and you are in the browse buffer.

I see; a buffer for browsing the list of available newsgroups for a
given server.  Interesting!

Incidentally, besides this newsgroup and gnu.emacs.gnus, are there any
other newsgroups or mailing lists for asking detailed questions
concerning obscure/arcane features of Gnus?  I haven't yet received any
constructive responses for creating group-carpal or summary-carpal
windows arranged horizontally immediately below the group and summary
buffers, respectively, and using Google, the Gnus FAQ, Emacs info, or
the Gnus Manual doesn't seem to reveal a direct answer, either.

I just noticed that, according to page 268 of the Gnus Manual (see
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus.pdf), in the description of the
"gnus-configure-frame" procedure, there does seem to be a reference
to parameters labelled "height" and "width"; _viz._:

(gnus-configure-frame
 ’(frame 1.0
          (vertical 1.0
                    (summary 0.25 point frame-focus)
                    (article 1.0))
          (vertical ((height . 5) (width . 15)
                     (user-position . t)
                     (left . -1) (top . 1))
                    (picon 1.0))))

The paragraph below this code snippet, after describing the code,
concludes, "The list of all possible keys for
gnus-buffer-configuration can be found in its default value."

Therefore, I typed "M-x apropos", followed by
"gnus-buffer-configuration", to obtain this default value, and
obtained the following:

> gnus-buffer-configuration is a variable defined in `gnus-win.el'.
> Its value is shown below.
>
> Documentation:
> Window configuration for all possible Gnus buffers.
> See the Gnus manual for an explanation of the syntax used.

> [...]

However, in the above description, there are no references to the
"height" or "width" parameters, and the references to "gnus-carpal"
all show quoted lists as parameters where the cars are, respectively,
"group-carpal", "server-carpal", or "browse-carpal", each with a
single integer for the cdr, denoting the width, but not the height.
This means that there is no parameter for specifying the height of the
associated "-carpal" window for specifying in the following (desired)
windows configuration:

|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|          Group Buffer             |         Summary Buffer          |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|          Group-carpal             |         Summary-carpal          |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                            Article Buffer                           |
|                            ???????-carpal                           |

Any ideas for where to look for this parameter, or for a functionally
equivalent alternative?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^