Re: emacs debugger error

From: Colin S. Miller
Subject: Re: emacs debugger error
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:07:03 +0100

jimmianlin wrote:
So I want to debug my code, but whenever I try to start the debugger through
emacs, it gives me an error "no such file or directory". However, the exe
file was inside the directory I was in. Has anyone had this problem before?
Thanks in advance.

Jimmianin,
assuming that you are not debugging emacs lisp,
this could have several causes, depending on

1) What OS are you using a) Linux/BSD b) MacOS c) Other Unix d) MS Windows
(The error sounds like MS-Windows)

2) What command did you use that caused the error? Was is M-x gdb ?

3) What was the full error? Was it "gdb: No such file or directory"

Assuming the you used M-x gdb on MS-Windows and "gdb: No such file or directory"
was reported, then
Emacs uses an external debugger (normally gdb, the GnuDebugger), and wraps
the debugger's I/O in an emacs window. You'll need to install gdb on your
machine
for it to work.

I've never used gdb on MS-Windows, only on Linux. For MS-Windows debugging I
normally
use MS Visual Studio. If the target program was built using Microsoft's compiler
(normally called 'cl'), then I'm not sure gdb can read the debug info from the
target,
but it may work.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the
hostname to reply.