RE: How to highlight the current buffer's mode line ?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to highlight the current buffer's mode line ?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 14:36:15 -0700

> >> Not easily.
> >
> > M-x customize-face RET mode-line-buffer-id
>
> Except for the detail that it should have different colors in
> active and inactive windows.

Why? Are you making up that condition?
The OP said nothing about that AFAIK.

The `mode-line' face already indicates which window is active. Why would the
face used for the buffer name also need to indicate active and inactive in its
own way?

FWIW, this is what I use for face `mode-line-buffer-id':

   [X] Underline: Value Menu Colored: red
   [X] Overline:  Value Menu Colored: red

That (a) separates the buffer name well from the other mode-line fields, without
(b) making it stand out so much that it becomes distracting.

[Note: I turned off the `bold' weight, which is the default for this face. On
Windows at least, bold looks very ugly, at least with the font I use:
"-outline-Lucida Console-normal-r-normal-normal-14-105-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1".]