Re: How to learn elisp ?

From: Elena
Subject: Re: How to learn elisp ?
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 05:32:11 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 Ago, 09:32, Jyrki Tikka <jmti...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Andy Stewart <lazycat.mana...@gmail.com> writes:
> > waterloo <waterloo2...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> But I have not read Emacs Lisp Reference , It is a huge book .
> > If you want write elisp extension, don't find any other resource,
> > Emacs Lisp Reference is best resource about elisp.
> > It's not too huge, just read one part everyday.
>
> > You will write best elisp extension after you read complete.
>
> >   -- Andy
>
> I almost agree with you Andy, but the O'Reilly book "Writing GNU Emacs
> Extensions" by Bob Glickstein might be another way to reach
> enlightenment.
>
> --
> jmt

I second that. IMO, reading the Emacs Lisp Reference is overkill for a
beginner. Reading the Emacs Manual from cover to cover is more
rewarding from a user point of view.

Of course, once you will be acquainted with Emacs and Emacs Lisp, you
will want to (quickly) read the Reference from cover to cover to learn
what is available to you.

Indeed the Bob Glickstein's book enlightened me about matters involved
in writing extensions beyond simply knowing Emacs Lisp: saving undo
information, ecc.

"C-h f" and "C-h v" for jumping to the documentation of the function
or variable at point will be your best friends ;-)

Cheers