Re: Dead circumflex?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Dead circumflex?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 22:46:03 -0500

Merciadri Luca wrote:
On 3 août, 09:46, Merciadri Luca <Luca.Mercia...@student.ulg.ac.be>
wrote:

"B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> writes:

Hmm. Maybe scim modified something. Is there anything in your .emacs
that looks suspicious.
Not really.
Have you discovered why C-x Ret C-\ does not
work?
No.
Is this on Linux?
Yes, both Debian and Ubuntu.> Is there an Xmodmap keyboard config around
anywhere?
No.
If you chose latin-1-postfix, what does e^ produce other
than the non existent deadkey warning.
I cannot choose latin1-postfix. Note that I have two computers:
- - On the laptop, running Ubuntu, the circumflex is well placed under
all the other applications. The only app where it does not work is
Emacs.
- - On the other, running Debian, the circumflex is always put near the
letter, but never at its top, as I want it to be.

On both computers, Emacs treats it as <dead-circumflex> being
undefined.

I assume that the caret key on
keyboard matches where it should be on the Fr layout.  If you can get
anything in by hook or crook, does C-x = show something like this,
mutatis mutandis: Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...) point=2 of 5152 (0%) column=0
Char: ^ (94, #o136, #x5e) point=2 of 5154 (0%) column=0
It shows info for all the characters, but as I cannot type the
circumflex in Emacs, I can't figure out which message it could display
for it.

This is on ver 22.3
If I install a Fr keyboard on w32 (2000) and with input method
latin-1-postfix, because of the French keyboard, input works
backwards, i.e press caret (to right of p) and then e, produces
circumflex e but it is still reported as:
Char: ê (2282, #o4352, #x8ea, file ...)
Lucky you. Ok.

Same behavior with dieresis or umlaut: dead key invisible until next
key pressed. In fact I can find no backslash on the French keyboard at
all.
I have the same problem with dieresis or umlaut. It then shows,
e.g. for dieresis: <S-dead-dieresis> not defined.

Another possibility is to set the keyboard to English via the OS and
then chose one of the French input methods via Mule. That way you
would at least have a backslash. Most if not all vowels with
diacritics are on the number keys.
I tried it. The situation keeps being the same. Note that, as I said
above, I can type a backlash, and other strange characters, but
dieresis and circumflex accent do not work.

- --
Merciadri Luca
Seehttp://www.student.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~merciadri/
client, please contact me.

Any idea?

Force the OS to remap the scancodes from the keyboard using Xmodmap on Linux or Keytweak on MS (ver 2000 or later).