Re: installing emacs package on windows

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: installing emacs package on windows
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 18:08:04 +0200

amolaggarwal <amolaggarwal@gmail.com> writes:

> My emacs version is 22.3.1 . I have created init file in ~/.emacs.d/
> init.cl(user application data folder instead of home directory) . I
> want to load another package called init-auto-complete.el through my
> init file . I have put this package in .emacs.d directory but i am
> unable to load this package from init file using (require 'init-auto-
> complete.el). Kindly help.

Type: M-: (info "(emacs)Init File") RET
(assuming you have the info documentation for emacs installed).

The usual init file is: ~/.emacs

If there is no ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.el, then emacs tries to load
~/.emacs.d/init.el

The various components of emacs may store specific files in
~/.emacs.d, so I would avoid to put my files there.

To understand how require works, type: C-h f require RET
There, it is explained how the feature symbol is mapped to a file
name, when you don't specifiy the file name in the arguments of
require.

You may also directly load to load a specific file.
Type: C-h f load RET to see how it works.  There are references to
several variables you may set to customize its behavior, so that you
may avoid giving the full pathname in the load argument.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__