Re: How to speed up emacs start time?

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: How to speed up emacs start time?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:33:45 +0200

Hi!

> Thank you. Emacs 23.1 on Mac OSX works.
> But when I start emacs at terminal (instead of running Emacs.app),
> emacs (in /usr/bin/emacs version 22)  complains that the .elc are
> compiled for version 23.
>
> Can you please tell me what can I do to fix this?

The easy way is to also use emacs 23 in the terminal,
/path/to/your/emacs -nw should do it. Or just fix your PATH
environment variable so that your emacs 23 bin directory comes first.

Otherwise you'd have to use different directories for different emacs
version + one directory with the .el sources. You'd symlink your
source files over to the directories for your different emacs versions
and compile them there. This is more or less how debian's emacs
packaging works when you have multiple emacsen installed.

In your .emacs you'd to something like this:

  (add-to-list 'load-path
               (format "/path/to/emacs-lisp/emacs-%s" emacs-major-version))

But I'd rather use emacs 23 on the console as well. With the new
multi-tty feature you should also be able to use the same instance for
this, issue M-x server-start and then connect with `emacsclient -t'. I
heard that multi-tty doesn't yet work well on OS X, though.

HTH,

Anselm

--
Anselm Helbig