Re: Mode to display information in the topmost line of a window

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Mode to display information in the topmost line of a window
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:12:46 +0200

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Kevin,

>> What's the prefered way to overwrite a function? Just putting this
>> one into .emacs?
>
> Don't overwrite it, so that you don't have to track changes to its
> implementation:
>
> (defadvice eldoc-message (after header-line-format activate)
>   "If `eldoc-last-message' is non-nil, set `header-line-format'."
>   (when eldoc-last-message
>     (setq header-line-format 'eldoc-last-message)
>     (force-mode-line-update)))

I'd generally agree, but I guess Gerald doesn't want to duplicate the
eldoc output in the header line, but instead he wants it to be there
only.

BTW: In contrast to the echo area, the header-line allows only one
single line of content.  So you might want to let-bind
`eldoc-echo-area-use-multiline-p' to nil.

BTW2: I think this eldoc-in-header-line is really nice.  Gerald, you
might want to built that into eldoc.el directly as an option, and submit
a patch to emacs-devel, so that others can share the experience.

Bye,
Tassilo