Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images display)-Sorted

From: rpd
Subject: Re: Emacs (+EmacsWin32) with chess.el help (board images display)-Sorted by myself!
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:34:43 -0700 (PDT)

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 2:21 PM,
> rpd<richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi
>
> Hi rpd
>

>> Thanks for your reply & information. I am very new to Emacs & do not
>> understand
>> how this <byte compile> file.assert has caused this error and more
>> importantly I still do not know what to do to fix it! (I will look into
>> cl
>> library as I don't know what that is!).
>

> The information I gave you were guesses abouit what goes wrong.
> Someone who actually uses Emacs chess will perhaps know more accurate
> what to do.
>
> However what I guess from the information you gave is that you have
> not installed Emacs chess as it should be installed. Maybe there is
> some installation instructions that comes with it? Often those
> instructions are a bit harder to follow on MS Windows since many of
> those who have been writing things for Emacs are using GNU/Linux
> instead and they do not know how to do the same things on MS Windows.
>
> However let me guess a bit more. You could try doing
>
>    M-: (require 'cl)
>
> and then try Emacs chess again. (Normallly you should not do the
> above, but it seems the easiest thing to try for you now.
>

>> {My  error message

>>> chess-ply-create*: Symbol's function definition is void: assert
>>>
>>> Any idea how to fix this? Thanks & best wishes
>>>
>>> --
>> }
>>
>> I am most grateful if you could explain simply what this is and what I
>> need
>> to do to fix it.
>

> The problem is a bit technical. "assert" is a function that is defined
> in a part of Emacs, the cl library, that you normally do not see when
> you run Emacs. That is because the library is used when byte compiling
> Emacs lisp libraries files. When a file named for example foo.el
> (Emacs lisp files has that extension) it is transformed into a foo.elc
> where the addeed "c" means compiled. Emacs can use both .el files and
> .elc files but uses the latter if it is available.
>
> If there are instructions for installation I guess those installation
> tells how to byte compile Emacs chess.
>

>> Thanks & best wishes
>> --

Hi Lennart
Many thanks for your prompt & helpful replies. Presently I do not fully
understand what has happened here but your advice works when I add (require
'cl) to my .emacs file.

The chess package chess.el seems to be working fine now in Emacs &
Emacsclient. Again many thanks to you! Maybe there is some information in
the chess package but I am new to Emacs & run Vista - so I have a steep
learning curve to get set up & running smoothly with Emacs. It is good to
have this forum for advice. (Why do I need Emacsclient? I have read some
from Emacsclient Wiki webpage but still I am not clear about this vs
Emacs!). Now I want to add more packages to Emacs (Java/JDEE + Perl +
C/C++/C# + org mode etc). I expect I may be posting for more help
soon!.....Emacs is a whole new experience to a MSWindows user who has only
used Notepad & DevC + a little cygwin! Onward....

Best wishes