Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:12:34 -0400

In article
<0eab476b-cd5f-444d-b2af-d82ac076e73b@r34g2000vba.googlegroups.com>,
 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 11:04 am, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> > Am 13.07.2009 um 10:03 schrieb Francis Moreau:
> >
> > > I never claim to have a splendid idea. I just found weird that this is
> > > not offered by M-x shell, whereas it is by M-x term...
> >
> > The one offers an environment to run a shell interpreter
> > interactively in it,
>
> OK, so what am I supposed to run in this shell interpreter ?
>
> I can understand that I can't start mutt or any other appli that needs
> all term environment in M-x shell, but the feature I'm asking is not
> specific to term emulation, it's just a goodies to make life easier
> when reading the _text_ output of any commands I start from this shell
> interpreter.

Why do you need a pager, when the Emacs shell buffer allows you to page
back and forward through the output, search it, etc.?  What can you do
in a pager that you can't do with Emacs's own features?  And if there is
something Emacs is missing, it should be easy to add it.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA