Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: page-at-a-time output for M-x shell
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 12, 9:41 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 12.07.2009 um 19:40 schrieb Francis Moreau:
>
> > And why is it so hard to understand that a pager feature would
> > be nice in this package ?

[...]

> If the text cursor is at the end of the *shell* buffer and is pushed
> away by fast effervescent output, faster than you can read, it's one
> command to return to the prompt. It's easier to send the command and
> make the cursor go up a line.

no.

BTW, some tools which being designed this 3 last couple years do send
their output to a pager by default.

> GNU Emacs is no terminal emulation.

But it offers the possibility. It's well described in the info pages
and the info pages never say that it's a deprecated usage.

> It does not need a pager. These
> programmes were developed for hardware terminals from 20 or more
> years ago. There is no sense in keeping them today, in a time of
> feature full terminal emulations. They can be abolished together with
> atom reactors and bombs.

So make it clear in the info page and see how people react.

> And your splendid idea.

I never claim to have a splendid idea. I just found weird that this is
not offered by M-x shell, whereas it is by M-x term...