Re: Emacs & Lisp question

From: Ben Badgley
Subject: Re: Emacs & Lisp question
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:08:59 -0400

Richard Riley:

"at about 80 euro for a terabyte of hard drive, I wonder if its
a good investment of anyone times and effort at this stage"

Fair enough, though some of us are indeed poor working class sods
that can not dole out about $160 USD just for giggles. :-) I have
a 160 Gig hard drive for the *nix system. I would love to slap a
new terabyte drive on board.

That is a modest drive for me. Had not expected to fill it up so quickly, Emacs and Lisp in general have corrupted me. I'm gathering docs, libraries, hack tips, bit and bobbles like the hatter. That requires this odd thing called space.

And I actually had only ordered an 80 Gig. Not complaining, merely
saying. Guess the hardware vendor was thinking ahead for me. It worked
out to the same price.

At present, still awaiting this Change thing. Finding good steady
employ limits the wont. So, got to wait on getting the terabyte drive.

Tim X:

 "As far as I know, emacs can handle gzipped *.el files, but the
*.elc files cannot be compressed. "

Okay, gotcha. That means emacs is capable of x, not y. Which is good
to know before going out on a limb with crofting.

"On one hand, you reduce storage
space. However, on the other, the files genraly must be uncompressed
before the application can interpret the code. This can cause overhead
that may slow down an applications execution."

Alright, this is in general, as far as any application or program, or just emacs?

Apologies if it appears I'm being ignorant on this point. I am really genuinely curious and feel compelled to know specifics. If emacs needs to uncompress, okay no problem. If however it applies all the across the board, then I may not be able to implement as desired, or else find a way. So, this is really a learning quest, being new to emacs and Lisp in
general.

"The other issue to consider and for which I have no data is to what
extent the data is able to be compressed."

Well, from my limited point of view and reading of docs, text seems to compress quite well. And Lisp libraries are in fact text. That was something which prompted my thought of compressing them for use with emacs, and then led to the next thought, "hey why not do that for all Lisp code?"

Then again, I'm just a silly country boy coming unto all of this with fresh eyes. My views may be skewed and or incorrect. Please do tell me.
You don't learn by spewing sewage.

"profiel of the system your
running on. If you have a system with very fast CPU and restricted
storage, compression may be beneficial. However, if you have slower CPUs
or large amounts of available storage with good disk IO etc, compression
may not actually be of any real benefit - maybe even a negative benefit.
"

Yep. There are lots of variables to consider in this. I did not say there wasn't. I could suggest programmers do as programmers oft do, classify the variables. Create a common object such as computer type. Hm, but then that really installs Insanity version 0.01, doesn't it? :-)

Excuse me, off now to mow the lawn. Run it slow.

---
Ben