Re: emacsclient over ssh

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: emacsclient over ssh
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:13:35 +0200

Hi!

> At any rate a console emacs arrived at that way is a pain in the but
> to use. Its fine for normal file/directory work... but I want to
> access an emacs/gnus session running on the remote emacs-server. And I
> want the emacsclient to run in X on the localhost.

A console emacs doesn't have to be so bad.

  - the "backspace invokes help"-issue goes away after "stty erase '^?'"

  - you can get more than 16 colors on the console in xterm or rxvt, see
    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/XTermColors

  - xterm-mouse-mode allows you to use your favourite pointing device

I have to admit that you don't get a tool bar and the menu looks a bit
ugly. But then, who needs these, anyway? 8-)

The primary advantage of using emacs in a remote terminal instead of
forwarded via X is speed - forwarding an X client over a WAN might
feel sluggish.

Maybe you should consider using a local emacs and TRAMP to access
your remote files.

Regards,

Anselm

--