Re: w3m browser in Emacs

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: w3m browser in Emacs
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:51:01 -0400

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
> the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using
> it in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than
> actually using a full featured browser with graphics and css and
> javascript all.
>
> there are a lot quality browsers today (safari, chrom, opera,
> firefox). If you want, you can set up one of these browsers to not
> load graphics or css or javascript. And you can set shortcut keys in
> emacs or system wide to easily switch to and fro between emacs and
> that browser. Or, have a region in emacs automatically launch to the
> browser to do web search or stuff. For this, see:
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_lookup_ref.html

I have IE, Firefox, Conkeror, and w3m.  I use Conkeror for serious
browsing, but I find w3m, despite its clunkiness, convenient for
simple queries, especially for business (copyediting); I can often
quickly answer the question "Is this a real word?" without leaving
Emacs.  I have an Emacs command that, when I type C-c g, prompts for a
word or phrase & looks it up in Google.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  The DEA is our Taliban.  :||