Re: Stack of bookmarks

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: Stack of bookmarks
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:08:11 +0200

Hi Stephan,

"stephan.zimmer" <stephan.zimmer@googlemail.com> writes:

> Quite often while I'm browsing through source code I would like to
> remember the current position to return to it later after having
> looked for something else.
[...]
> At the end this would be somehow similar to the "pop-tag-mark"
> command, with the difference, that I can remember and go back to
> arbitrary locations in the code. Has someone an idea?

I once needed exactly that and wrote some stack-handling of markers (not
bookmarks) only to find that I didn't want a stack but a ring.  The
result was mtorus:
http://www.skamphausen.de/cgi-bin/ska/mtorus

(it was later re-written by Sebastian Freundt resulting in a much more
complex and probably more powerful implementation, but I don't really
know about the state of that version, I still use my old version.  See
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki?MTorus
)

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)