Re: *scratch* lost

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: *scratch* lost
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 13:03:10 +0200

Hi,

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> "B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:
>
>> I was doing some key mapping in .emacs and instead of saving the file,
>> restarting Emacs, and testing the new assignment I was doing M-x eval
>> region on changed areas of .emacs Somehow all (or many) keychords
>> started acting strangely, e.g. C-x 1 would open subr.el in a new
>> buffer instead of showing current buffer alone in frame, even cursor
>> movement keys did something else. I killed .emacs buffer without
>> saving (losing changes) and then exited Emacs. On restarting
>> everything looks and works normally exept that *scratch* is empty
>> (three commented lines are missing) and it is in Fundamental mode
>> instead of Lisp Interaction. Can I get the old *scratch* buffer back?
>> How?

Maybe you somehow interfered with the variables

* inhibit-startup-screen
* initial-scratch-message

?

> (defun make-scratch ()

[...]

>     (emacs-lisp-mode))))
>

> M-x make-scratch RET

Hm, I don't seem to need that.  I can always M-x switch-to-buffer
*scratch* RET (having to type "*scratch*" without completion since it
may have been killed) and end up in a perfect stracth-buffer with
lisp-interaction-mode.  It even works with iswitchb-buffer which asks
before creating the new buffer.

Cheers,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)