Re: catching parenthesis errors in elisp

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: catching parenthesis errors in elisp
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:47:09 -0400

In article
<029be122-b0a6-426c-ac48-18e970009a97@r31g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
 rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 12, 5:06 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Ive *not* written this lisp.
> > All did (or tried to do) was take some existing lisp and change it a
> > bit here and there -- mostly nothing more than changing some strings.
> >

> I should mention that now that error has gone -- in the sense that I'm
> not getting scan errors and mismatch paren errors.
>
> But the way it is behaving (or unbehaving) I conclude that large
> sections of it have 'disappeared' into a string most likely.
>
> I should also mention here what I did to 'get rid' of the error.
> The function giving the paren error I moved into a new file
> There I found that the culprit seemed to be a large let* -- moved it
> to a second file
> Voila! No check-paren errors (no changes on my part other than the C-M-
> k and C-y  done to move sexps around)
>
> Moved file 2 back into file 1 where it was pulled out; then file1 back
> into the original.
> No check-paren errors ; no load errors.
>
> I find this weird

Re-indent the new file, and then diff it against the original that you
modified.  Look for places where the change to a line is the amount of
indentation.  That suggests a parenthesis problem right before that
(unless the intent of your change was to nest a block of code within
something new).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA