Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: ken
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 06:52:57 -0400

On 06/08/2009 03:52 PM Xah Lee wrote:

> i define keys to insert unicode chars that i frequently use. e.g.
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<kp-6>") "→")
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-i a") "α")
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-i b") "β")
> (global-set-key (kbd "M-i t") "θ")

It's probably just me, but with the so many foreign characters I use,
remembering all the many key mappings becomes more than my little brain
can manage.  So I prefer to create a menu of character entities.
html-helper-mode (i.e., not html-mode) already has such a menu which
I've added to using "(mapchar 'html-helper-add-tag ...".  This menu
allows me to look up a 'character' which I can't remember *and* gives me
a reminder of what its key combo is.  My (too old) version of emacs,
however, doesn't have a "character entities" menu for regular (non-html)
buffers.  I've already got too much on my plate for the moment, so this
isn't a project for me right now.  But later....

> some more tips here
>
> • Emacs and Unicode Tips
>   http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_n_unicode.html

Nice web page.  (Bookmarked.)  Thanks.