Re: byte-compile making erroneous *Compile Log*

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: byte-compile making erroneous *Compile Log*
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 00:36:45 +0000 (UTC)

martin rudalics <rudalics <at> gmx.at> writes:

> Please try to edebug `fill-region' (with the *Compile-Log* buffer
> displayed in some window to see what's going on).  I suppose one of
> your .emacs settings wrt to filling cause the behavior you observe.

I did (edebug-on-entry (quote fill-region) nil) and the debugger did not start,
so I must be missing something.  (E.g., do I have to recompile fill-region with
debugging enabled, or something like that?)

Looking for "fill" in my initialization I found that
fill-individual-varying-indent and paragraph-ignore-fill-prefix were set to t.
However, setting both to nil did not help.  I did not see anything else that
looks like suspicious.

I am satisfied with my workaround, which took remarkably little code.  However,
Martin, if you are trying to debug this, I'll continue to pursue it for you -
just give me another clue.

(Incidentally, I had poked around in the byte compiler code trying to find where
it was inserting the warnings - and I could not find it.  At least Martin has
pointed me to where it happens now.)