RE: How to get skills in elisp ?

From: Benjamin Badgley
Subject: RE: How to get skills in elisp ?
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 03:09:10 -0400

Not flaming Drew, only stating fact. I still use a dial up with a serial modem. It's okay for our needs presently. Rather, it needs to be.

That aside, I have been delving into the lovely world of load path. Seems I've gotten a rather long group listing for a load path. Any ideas on how to wrangle it back down to perhaps two or so directories? Not sure where to go to set it for Emacs itself. My dot emacs file evaluates out the long path listing.

I want to finish hacking the dot emacs and then byte compile it, set a new dot emacs up.

;;; Included in the new dot emacs
(require 'emacs-source.elc)

That will cut down load time. If I keep the original dot emacs then, I can add / subtract and recompile as needed. Besides that it'll save running into evaluation errors when it loads a simple one or two line dot emacs file.

However, that darn load path issue bugs me. And I may be taking the long way home. Please let me if that's the case, it's how I learn. But no need to indulge stupidity either, if you can offer some help, pointers please do.

So far my favorite line of code is the one below.

(setq inhibit-startup-message t)

And I also enjoy:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme.el")
(require 'color-theme)
(eval-after-load "color-theme-wheat"
 (progn (color-theme-hober))

As for finding useful documentation, I find myself doing a C-h i a lot. It helped get me started on hacking the dot emacs file. I stumbled over the Emacs FAQ via the C-h i key-chord. With auto decompress on in Emacs you can read compressed info files just swell. I bet it would also work on those pesky compressed man pages, too. ;)

Well, I ought to be scooting along. Need to break tomorrow, do some writing instead of coding. Nitol, run it slow. :)

;;; Ben