Re: bug in hi-lock?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: bug in hi-lock?
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 09:07:19 +0000

Hi again, Dale!

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 07:02:48PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Dale!

> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 11:32:08AM -0500, Dale Schaafsma wrote:
> > Hi Alan,
> >   I've attached a small text file...my regex is foo...and I just hit return
> > to take the default color of hi-yellow.
> >   Thanks for the compliment on the bug report (I do write&debug software so
> > I've tried to be specific!)...should I send this message to the address
> > below?

> Thanks for the file.  It was ideal.

> Now, take a deep, deep, breath.  This is what's happening:

[ snip diagnosis: summary - Font Lock Mode and Hi-Lock Mode get their
mutual nickers in a twist at the very first C-x w h in a buffer where
font-lock-keywords starts off nil. ]

Here's a proper workaround:  Put the following early on in your .emacs:

   (setq-default font-lock-keywords "\\<\\>")

[The string is a regexp which matches somewhere at both the start and end
of a word, i.e. nowhere at all.]

Thanks for goading me into finally tracking this down!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).