emacs locks up after $('

From: Dave Cohen
Subject: emacs locks up after $('
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 16:18:13 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a longtime emacs user, new to this group, and looking for help.

I'm editing a file in "JavaScript Moz" mode, and I type, in the middle
of a long file of javascript code:
$('

followed by some characters (depending on how quickly I type them).
Then emacs stops accepting input, and hogs all the system CPU.  Until
I have to kill the process, losing whatever I was in the middle of.
Very frustrating.

What is this sequence of characters making emacs do, and how do I
prevent this or recover from it?

Thanks for any help.

-Dave