Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:56:45 +0200

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

Hi Nikolaj,

>>> The completion seems to work well with company[1], too, so I'll
>>> include a back-end in the next version.
>>
>> Wow, that would be cool.  Till now, I didn't have a deeper look at
>> company mode, but this would definitively make me try it.
>
> I've released it:
> http://nschum.de/src/emacs/company-mode/

And I have tested it.  Really brilliant, you're my hero of the month!

The only thing that could be improved is that the error message could be
a bit more informative when eclim commands fail.  I symlinked eclim and
eclimd to my bin dir, but that doesn't work, cause they assume they lay
in the eclipse plugin dir.  This resulted in

% eclim -command project_list
/home/horn/bin/eclim: line 30: /home/horn/bin/ng: No such file or
directory--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

and return code 127.  You only check the non-zeroness of the return
code.  In that case the eclim cmd output would be very helpful.

> Unfortunately, completion requires saving the file.  I haven't yet
> figured out if eclim has a way around that.
>
> For the time being, company can do it automatically, if
> (setq company-eclim-auto-save t)

Hm, here it's nil, but completion works perfectly without any saving.
(Eclim 1.4.5 and emacs 23 from yesterday).

Thanks a ton, again!
Tassilo
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.