Re: Working with different projects in Emacs

From: Damian
Subject: Re: Working with different projects in Emacs
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:13:58 +0200

> I don't quite see the problem - perhaps you could describe a usage scenario
> in a
> little more detail.
Yes, no problem. Suppose I'm working in three projects, namely, P0,
P1, P2. The files of each project are in directories /home/p0,
/home/p1, and /home/p2 respectivelly. Finally, within every project
directory you can have subdirectories that contain other files
belonging to the project.

In addition, there are a set of frequently used files. For instance, a
list of beers I have to try, the list of persons I should avoid in the
hall, my todo.org, and the emacs cheat sheet.

At the beginning of each day I would like to start up emacs in the
console, and open my agenda that is contained located in
   /home/damian/docs/planning/todo.org

I would like to just type C-x C-f and then a few letters and fire up
autocompletion to get the full path. Since "files I frequently use"
doesn't mean files "I always use", it may be the case that I don't
open my agenda but the list of beers.

Then, after I decided work in project Pi, I would like to open some of
the files in that project, but not all the files, since there are *a
lot* of files in each project and I only work with 5 or 6 in a given
day. So, I would like to issue the open file command (C-x C-f), and
get automatic completion for all the files *reachable* from /home/pi,
which implies that the files may be in nested subdirectories.

My hope is to be able to do that just by filling up the filesets, and
then specifying from which filesets the completions must be made (plus
a shortcut to autocompletion).

Best regards,
Damian.