Re: gnus is just slow when dealing with more than 5000 articles

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: gnus is just slow when dealing with more than 5000 articles
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 04:12:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

[ Sorry for the delay... ]

On Apr 5, 4:31 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-04-05 13:40 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
> > group with a lot of articles ?
>
> > The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
> > summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
> > summary buffer.
>
> > Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
> > sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.
>
> It might be a bug. Make a reproducible recipe and report it to its
> developers.

Well, it's easy enough:

I just open the "gmane.linux.kernel" newsgroup (obviously the new
server here is gname). When gnus asks for how many articles  from this
group I want, I just answer 10000 (yes ten thousand).

So now wait for the summary buffer to appear. Once it's done, you can
play with the limiting article commands for example (like / s to limit
to articles with a particular subject). And normally you can notice
that gnus is almost unusable.

This is with threaded view:
      (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-most-
recent-date))

This is with Gnus v5.13 on a quad core with 2 Go...

Thanks