copying and pasting in emacs

From: luca . pamparana
Subject: copying and pasting in emacs
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:17:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am unable to figure out how to select and copy text as you would do
in another editors:

For example, one thing I normally need to do is select from the
current position upto the next few words. Normally, I just press shift
+ ctrl and the left or right arrow key and the editor would highlight
one word at a time. I have so far been unable to figure out how to
highlight text in emacs using the keyboard.

Anyone knows how I can do it esp. highlighting one word, line etc. at
a time.

Many thanks,

Luca