Re: Delete acting as backspace

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: Delete acting as backspace
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 22:09:55 +0200

Alberto Simões <hashashin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In my recently compiled emacs (MacOS / NS) when I use Function +
> Backspace (the usual way to perform delete), emacs interprets it as a
> standard backspace.

If you press C-h k <your key>, you'll see this:

DEL (translated from <kp-delete>) runs the command
backward-delete-char-untabify, which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`simple.el'.

It is bound to DEL.

The key is "translated" to DEL, you can fix this by binding it to
something else:

(global-set-key (kbd "<kp-delete>") 'delete-char)

If you're think that the default behavior is wrong, please also report a
bug (M-x report-emacs-bug).

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher