Re: Boldifing all faces?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Boldifing all faces?
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 21:40:20 +0100

Am 26.03.2009 um 18:56 schrieb Elena:

Well, at least on Windows we have a font dialog, whilst on Linux I had
to investigate what fonts were available using other tools, then
passing their string-ized specification to set-default-font. Not
funny.

Linux can be a bit more complicated: it has two "font services:" one supplied by the X server (X client xfontsel, on the command line xlsfonts) and one handled by the human client, based on libfontconfig (fc-list or fc-match on the command line).

A rather fool-proof method to determine the system's font repertoire is:

        M-x set-frame-font RET TAB TAB

The X server supplies fonts named like this one: -b&h- lucidatypewriter-medium-r-*-*-10-*-*-*-m-*-iso10646-1, libfontconfig loves simple names: LucidaSansTypewriter or LucidaTypewriter or Lucida Sans Typewriter, mostly followed by a predicate like :style=Bold or such.

--
Greetings

  Pete

It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                                – Garfield