Re: Weird stuff printed out by emacs rgrep

From: geoff . bache
Subject: Re: Weird stuff printed out by emacs rgrep
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 22, 8:08 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: geoff.ba...@gmail.com
> > Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 11:23:00 -0700 (PDT)

> > > The current development sources change that to --color=auto.
>
> > Great, that would also fix my problem.
>
> > Do you know if this fix is present in any stable releases of emacs 22
> > yet?
>
> No, it was done only recently, in preparation for Emacs 23.
>
> But you can, of course, make the change in grep.el yourself, then
> recompile it, and be done.

I can happily do that at home (where I can also just reset
GREP_OPTIONS at the top of the offending SGE script), but not really
at work which has the same issue. I have no control over the emacs
installation and don't really want to start building and supporting my
own personal emacs there.

Is there any chance of a backport into emacs 22 or is that not being
patched any more? I believe I have more chance of convincing my
sysadmins to install an official emacs release than to start hacking
in elisp code :)

Geoff