Re: News server access from Gnus [was: Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials]

From: Byung-Hee HWANG
Subject: Re: News server access from Gnus [was: Re: [OT] Reading Emacs Tutorials]
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:21:50 +0900

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:36:15 -0700, prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 20:16:54 +0200
>> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>>> I am using the newsgroup instead of the mailing list, but having a
>>> bidirectional gateway helps a lot.
>>
>> ok so i presume you are using emacs for the newsgroup?  i'm going to
>> try this, once i find out how to get news through our cable company -
>> when i try news in emacs, i get unable to open nntp:news so i presume
>> our cable company doesn't offer it.
>
> I am using Gnus both for email and Usenet access.  My email messages
> arrive through fetchmail to `~/Mailbox' where Gnus picks them up from
> and filters them to nnml:* folders through an `nnmail-split-fancy' list
> of patterns.
>
> For Usenet access, I pull a small number of groups through a free NNTP
> server (news.sunsite.dk).  It requires NNTP authentication but anyone is
> free to register for NNTP access.
>
> If your ISP is not actively blocking NNTP access to other sources, you
> can always register to sunsite.dk and then configure Gnus to use it as
> one of the message sources.  My own setup is:
>
>     (setq nntp-authinfo-function 'nntp-send-authinfo)
>     (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.sunsite.dk"))
>     (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:posted")
>
> For more details for the news server I am using, please take a minute or
> two to read the instructions at `http://dotsrc.org/usenet/' and, more
> importantly, the rules of usage at `http://dotsrc.org/usenet/policy/'.
>
> There are also other public, freely available servers you can use for
> news access, like:
>
>   * Gmane.  A bi-directional gateway from many mailing lists to Usenet
>     style groups and vice versa.  See `http://gmane.org/post.php'.
>
>   * Motzarella.  A private project providing free access to text-only
>     Usenet News.  See `http://news.motzarella.org/'.
>
> I'm sure there are several others that I am missing.  If you find any
> and you use them with satisfactory results for some time, please let me
> know, so I can add them to the list of public news servers I recommend
> to anyone who asks :-)

All your words is valuable, so i couldn't snip any words. Tonight i'll
try to connect news.sunsite.dk with Gnus. Unfortunately, here in Korea
there is no public news server. Your this message is really good to
me. After all, i'll feel the great power of open source through this big
network!

Sincerely,

--
Byung-Hee HWANG, KNU