Re: Emacs mouse wheel and other issues

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Emacs mouse wheel and other issues
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:31:50 +0100

Am 10.03.2009 um 02:39 schrieb galapogos:

Sorry but I'm quite a emacs newbie, where do I find mwheel(.el[c])

This ELisp file is installed somewhere on your system. The GNU Emacs variable load-path lists its directory among others. There are several means on the OS's level to locate it exactly.

If you find it only in the byte-compiled form as mwheel.elc you're rather lost, it's very close to completely unreadable. So you can't read the file and follow its suggestions how to use this software. What's left is GNU Emacs' info-mode: C-h i. Go to the Emacs node (m emacs RET). Is there something about mwheel or such? Ahh, not really enlightening. But it's a positive sign: mwheel is supported! It *will* be, no: it /is/ documented. So visit an index and see if there is something helpful. Yes! It explains how to enable mouse wheel mode manually.

In your init file it's automatically enabled via:

        (mouse-wheel-mode 1)

and inhibit-startup-*?

That's a variable. Variables can be examined by reading the tutorial (C-h t) or by typing: C-h v <at least the beginning of the variable's name, which later can be completed upon my request> RET. It's also possible to position the text pointer on the variable's name and then type C-h v RET.

--
Greetings

  Pete